As medical professionals, we know that assessing risk and addressing the harms of opioid use can save lives. Effective integration of prevention, treatment, and recovery services across health care systems is key to addressing substance misuse and its consequences and it represents the most promising way to improve access to and quality of treatment. Strong community engagement around appropriate opioid and controlled substance use is an integral component of every one of the High Resource Programs we institute.
How Our Program Works
CBC Solutions’ staff, along with assigned program staff, will meet regularly with community resources involved in controlled substance prescribing including emergency department staff, hospitalists and hospital-based care coordinators, outpatient providers and their staff, regional behavioral health and chemical dependency centers, therapeutic court personnel and other pertinent resources as identified.
Our team will work with program staff on various components of community-controlled substance usage and prescribing, including:
• Identifying substance issues within a given community
• Emphasizing the value of short-term (3-day) Rx patterns within local EDs
• Identifying local MAT providers
• Establishing referral patterns between EDs and local MAT providers
• Establish common controlled substance prescribing patterns across the community
• Use of telemedicine options as appropriate
We recommend enrollment of 2 clients/week (approximately 8 clients/month) and we will work with the contracting entity to determine which patients will be identified for this program.
Resources expected from the contracting agency:
• A staff member dedicated 10 hours/week to the program
• Data access for program monitoring
Care coordination is an essential part of quality in all health care. The Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS), The Joint Commission, and organizations such as the National Committee for Quality Assurance emphasize coordination and accountability and the use of evidence-based care and performance indicators to establish and monitor quality and value.